Thursday, March 6, 2008

Scary, Yet True

Shockingly, there was a time where I might have made a Hamburger Helper meal for dinner - ugh!

I would usually get some cheese version which would approximate macaroni and cheese with ground meat thrown in. Not too bad considering I grew up with Kraft Mac & Cheese with hotdog slices for dinner on Saturday nights.

Anyway, my ex-husband liked all things Stroganoff, which for some reason always seemed gross to me - a creamy milky sauce with meat mixed in - but I went along anyway and got the Stroganoff version of Hamburger Helper.

I don't know if any of you folks out there have made this food-like substance before, but Hamburger Helper is far from attractive when you first add the mix of pasta & seasoning into the pan with water and the browned ground meat. It looks disgusting, almost barf-like in quality. Stroganoff, for some reason, looked extra gross with that powdered milky seasoning that would eventually transform into a tasty sauce.

Well, for some reason, I had to pick up this large pan of partially cooked, still in the barf-looking-phase, stroganoff hamburger helper to move it and halfway across the open kitchen floor I mistakenly tipped the pan and spilt the contents over the kitchen floor. Talk about looking like I just lost my dinner!

I remember looking up into the dining room and seeing the look on my husband's face. I imagine my look of shock was quite similar.

Honey, let's order a pizza?

No comments: